One of the popular desserts served at family gatherings and for the holidays are pies. There are different types of pies to meet a variety of tastes, including fruit, cream, savory, gluten-free and nut pies. Among the favorites
are the pecan pies, which are usually served during Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Making a homemade pie may seem intimidating for some people, but once you have a good pie recipe and the right equipment, you are well on your way to
having a great pie experience.
Before creating a homemade pecan pie, there are certain utensils and equipment that you will need to have on hand to make the task easier. Some of the main pie equipment include:
• Pie pans that come in different sizes, with the standard measurement being 9 inches in diameter and 1 ¼ inches deep. Using ceramic or glass pie pans are recommended since your pie will cook more evenly and completely and the pie crust will
• Mixing bowls, preferably a nesting set of different sizes, which will make it easier for you to measure and mix the various ingredients, including the pie filling, the crust dough and the topping. Aluminum or stainless steel mixing bowls with round
bottoms are best since they mix the ingredients and dough properly and they are also easy to clean.
• A food processor or pastry blender that will help you to mix the flour and butter for the pie crust if you are unable to use a fork and your fingers.
• A rolling pin and surface to roll the dough for the pie crust. You may use a wooden pin, which should be about 10 inches long without the handles. However, in order to use less flour, a non-stick rolling pin is recommended. The rolling surface
should be cool, clean, smooth and flat and you may require additional flour, especially if you are not using parchment paper.
• An electric mixer for beating together the ingredients such as eggs, sugar, cream and syrup as well as to cream the sugar and butter. If you need to whisk eggs, the electric mixer or a metal whisk is useful.
Other equipment and utensils that you will need to make your pecan pie include knives, measuring spoons and cups, pastry brush and a pie cutter. Overall, having the right pie baking equipment will certainly help you in creating well-made and tasty pecan