1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Combine sweet potatoes, cane syrup, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, 1 egg, and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
3. Spoon sweet potato mixture into the unbaked pastry shell. Spread smooth.
4. Sprinkle pecan pieces onto the filling.
5. Beat 4 eggs in a large bowl. Add 1-teaspoon vanilla, corn syrup, sugar, brown sugar, and salt.
6. Pour egg mixture over pecans.
7. Bake 1 hour, or until pastry edges are golden brown, and filling is set.
8. Cool on wire rack. Allow 1 hour.
9. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before serving.
10. Garnish with chocolate and sweetened whipped cream.